Re: Developer Privileges

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:40:27 +0200

Daniel schrieb:
> Hi guys,
> I have a question regarding the privileges generally granted to the
> developers at large companies. I'm currently a Siebel developer,
> responsible also for the PL/SQL interfaces, and my privileges consist,
> in their entirety, to "connect", "create procedure" and one more that I
> forget. This is due to the consultant DBA's stubborness to want to
> control everything/everyone. I can't perform basic activities such as
> "create table", "create index", "alter session", "create type", ... For
> example, if I want to try (in a test environment) if a new index might
> help a query, I have to ask her to create it for me! No opportunity
> also to run sql tracing or event 10046, as I don't even have the
> privileges! Is that a very common scenario out there, or am I correct
> to whine about that situation? Has anyone of you been faced with this
> situation, and been able to convince the client to grant more
> privileges to you (in testing environment, of course!)?
>
> Thanx
>
> Daniel

Well, basically "connect" is not a privilege but a role, which includes such privileges as "create table" and "create index" as well as "alter session". The restrictions which you experienced with are not quite clear, because, owner of siebel repository needs all these privileges to create the repository. So, if you try to apply your changes to siebel repository by means of Siebel Tools ( afaik only supported from Siebel method ) you should not be restricted in any way to do it. Of course the policy may differ on different sites, in my last Siebel project we had separate environments (Development, Test, Production ) and in the Dev (not in the Test however) database Siebel folks were not restricted in any way ( may require additional impact for dba to get database working after all that developer's changes, but , with rman , this task can be easily automated ;-) ).

Best regards

Maxim Received on Tue Jun 28 2005 - 17:40:27 CDT