Re: Does Partition DDL generate redologs?

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 23:34:29 +0200

RaviAlluru schrieb:
> Hello All,
> Here is the scenario.
> We have a production instance with huge partitioned tables (almost 2
> billion rows in the biggest table ) partitioned on a weekly basis.
> We are embarking on an archiving mechanism where we are trying to
> push data older than a certain date to a new staging instance and
> schema. We have s Standy database running alongwith the Production
> instance , in managed recovery mode.
>
> My question is we will be doing things like :
>
> ALTER TABLE E1 EXCHANGE PARTITION P1 WITH TABLE STAGE.E1_STAGE_at_STAGE;
>
> ALTER TABLE E1 DROP PARTITION P1;
>
> where STAGE is the database link to the staging area instance (separate
> from the production instance).
>
> Would the above statements generate any REDO?
>
> Also what effect would this have on the STANDBY database ?
> (I know that DDL would be genreated on the standy too). Would we need
> to create a separate STAGE instance for the STANDBY to go against?
>
> (We really want to minimize the impact on the STANDBY by generating as
> little REDO as possible on the STANDBY ).
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>

> Thanks
>
> Ravi Alluru

Maybe i misunderstood your intention, but if you are going to exchange partitions with tables in different databases - it is not implemented yet ;-)
Usually ddl generates redo ( and if you exchange partition with a local table it will be generated as well ). The impact of redo generation due to ddl operations is however minimal, so you don't have to expect problems on the standby side with it.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Tue Jun 28 2005 - 16:34:29 CDT