Re: s...port's - problem

From: Fabrizio <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:58:24 GMT

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Don't exactly understand the "port redirection" bit, but the spawned
> process surely uses another port.
> I used Linux client and server, in order to eliminate the possibility
> of a Windows client causing other ports to be used.
>
> I configured tnsnames with a TCP connection, called fabr (sorry - did
> not feel like typing your name in full ;) ).
>
> !netstat -e
> Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
> State User Inode
> tcp 0 0 csdb01.cs.nl:1522 csdb01.cs.nl:6037
> ESTABLISHED oracle10 7032519
> tcp 0 0 csdb01.cs.nl:6037 csdb01.cs.nl:1522
> ESTABLISHED oracle10 7032518
>
> Now, you can clearly see my listener on 1522 (the 9i instance uses
> a separate listener on 1521, in case you might wornder why 1522)
> has a connection to my server (the client, actually) on 6037.
> The reverse is true, too.
> Now, after a "connect system/manager_at_fabr", the picture is changed:
>
> SQL> !netstat -e
> Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
> State User Inode
> tcp 0 0 csdb01.cs.nl:1522 csdb01.cs.nl:6041
> ESTABLISHED oracle10 7032766
> tcp 0 0 csdb01.cs.nl:6037 csdb01.cs.nl:1522
> TIME_WAIT root 0
> tcp 0 0 csdb01.cs.nl:6041 csdb01.cs.nl:1522
> ESTABLISHED oracle10 7032765
>
> There's a new connection, on port 6041! The one on 6037 disappears
> after a while - no hurry with that, I suppose.
>
> Now unless you mean something completely different with
> port redirecting, the original answer by Daniel was correct.
>
> use_shared_socket was broken in Windows on 8.1.7 (worked on 8.1.6);
> Unix was not affected (it's just an ordinary environment variable,
> afaik). Haven't tested when it was fixed (if at all).

I Frank,
no problem for the name :)

I looked in your test and this is what I see (correct me if I missed anything):

you connect from the same machine where the listener is.

The first netstat doesn't show the listener (otherwise it would appear as LISTENING).

Then you open a connection that goes from 6041 to 1522. The 6041 is the client port which doesn't matter (even for the firewall) while the server port hasn't changed. It is still 1522. So no port redirection on server side.

The firewall needs only one port open.

Or at least this is what I read from your outputs.

Thank you for taking the time for testing and naming the instance by me :)

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com

replace mycontinent with europe