Re: 8k block size upgrade concern

From: JeffV <jeffv27982_at_aol.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2005 09:51:59 -0700

Thanks. The upgrade is part of a much larger program for achieving performance gains. There has been considerable time spent over six months analyzing the "characteristics" of the batch and online application and these solutions are a result of that analysis. My belief is certainly that we will see a limited a performance gain from the upgrade. It is also safe to say I know the upgrade will go on without a hitch from a data quality standpoint. My concern is the unknown about the possibility of the optimizer choosing poor plans due to the switch. I believe the with the right optimizer choices, the batch will perform faster than it does now. Other sub-projects in the program will have to be put in place to see the full performance impact.
Thanks,
Jeff Received on Tue Jun 28 2005 - 11:51:59 CDT