Re: Prespawning processes on dedicated server (8i)

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 28 Jun 2005 03:43:29 -0700

Ramon Poca wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We're running on 8i (Solaris64) (I know, I know, upgrade :-P) with
> dedicated server.
>
> Question is: Running against an application server which uses its own
> connection pooling, can we benefit from prespawning servers on Oracle,
> to avoid the process creation cost?

Yes. MTS (aka Shared Server) lowers the process footprint of client session service processes on the db platform. Which means that a relatively small pool of shared processes can service a large number of client sessions. Now whether these sessions are app server pooled connections or traditional client connections.. Oracle does not know the difference. Does not care. And does not need to know or care.

Just remember that you scale the database in Oracle. Period. More app servers, app server processing pools, etc. do not make the database perform faster or scale better. (which of course shows just how far up their asses J2EE peoples' heads are)

--
Billy