Re: spontaneous node reboot

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 27 Jun 2005 22:21:43 -0700

johnle0701_at_yahoo.ca wrote:
> We have Oracle RAC 10g Release 1 (10.1.0.2) installed
> on two Solaris boxes (SPARC Solaris 9).
>
> Oracle RAC works well for about one working day.
> Then for some reason, the nodes spontaneously reboot
> overnight.

There can be a number of reasons. E.g. when communication is lost on the interconnect by a node, it will feel left out of things, sulk, and reboot. ;-)

Another reason is hardware. We had a case where cluster nodes just haphazzardly rebooted. Not a single char in any log file as to why. The cause was numerous screwups by "professional support & services" who installed the hardware without reading the friggen installation documentation.. like putting high speed PCI cards in slow speed shared PCI bus slots, mounted the units in the rack to close to one another causing them to run hot, and so on.

So it can be literally anything. Bad/dirty power to the unit. Heat. H/w problems. Network problems. O/S problems. CRS issues. Etc. Etc.

--
Billy