ASMLib

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 27 Jun 2005 00:01:01 -0700

We're running ASMLib kernel driver on a Linux 2.4 kernel, with PowerPath against an EMC SAN. Metalink note "Configuring Oracle ASMLib of Multipath Disks (309815.1)" applies. Oracle 10.1.0.3.

We have been getting I/O errors and corrupted data block reported by the Oracle instance. Problem has been logged with both Oracle and EMC.

Question - anyone ran into problems relating to note 309815.1 where ASMLib and Powerpath are used together? EMC is basically saying that the note is essentially incorrect and that this specific configuration of Linux kernel, ASMLib and Powerpath does not work. They could be right.. but are not providing any technical details to convince us for that. There are no kernel panics or kernel related errors. The ASM instance alert log and traces are clean. Oracle instance is not happy and report (on a certain tablespace and control file), intermittant I/O errors and data block corruption - while a semi-realtime capture process is streaming data into the database (and onto the SAN) without any errors at 100s of inserts per seconds. Yet EMC cannot find any SAN related errors on their side. So it seems that somewhere in between the Oracle instance and its data on the SAN, there's a problem.

Any suggestions, pointers, recommendations and six packs of Bavarian beer will be appreciated.

--
Billy