Re: installation fails on linux ubuntu (long)

From: Gabriel <kanari666_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 01:13:24 +0200

HansF wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:23:30 +0200, Gabriel interested us by writing:
>

>>I'm a java developer wanting to play a little with oracle so I DL te
>>lite 10g version.

> Great stuff. As long as you realize that your 'Oracle Lite' experience
> will provide little to nothing for background to 'Oracle Database'.
> (Different products, different mind set, different purpose.)

> You may want to rethink and grab the Oracle Database 10g - any of the
> editions: 'Personal'; 'Standard'; or 'Enterprise'. Functionally Personal
> is equivalent to Enterprise (just licensed to a single user), whereas
> Standard primarily drops the ability to add options and has somewhat fewer
> capabilities in the 'very-high availability' arena.
ah ? ok, I'll have a look on the oracle website then, I'll trust you :)

> There are usually a fair number of prerequisites to installing Oracle
> stuff, and it's very important to track along in the install manual to get
> the settings and environment right. For example, I'm not sure the JAVA13
> should be pointing to a 1.5 SDK - just a guess though as I haven't
> installed lite in a long while.

Yes, I thought so but reading the manual, it said jdk 1.4 or higher

> So ... did you go through the install manual before you did the install?
> or just jump right in? Knowing will help us answer the rest of your
> questions.

I read the prerequesites and the initial steps for a linux install. Since I am stuck at the very beginning I did not read very far : I usually read stuff while doing the installation :)

This time, I'll go back on the oracle website ad try to grab something else.

thx for your help, I'll go there and report here, of my failure or success :) Received on Sat Jun 25 2005 - 18:13:24 CDT