Re: installation fails on linux ubuntu (long)

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:48:14 GMT

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:23:30 +0200, Gabriel interested us by writing:

> I'm a java developer wanting to play a little with oracle so I DL te
> lite 10g version.

Great stuff. As long as you realize that your 'Oracle Lite' experience will provide little to nothing for background to 'Oracle Database'. (Different products, different mind set, different purpose.)

You may want to rethink and grab the Oracle Database 10g - any of the editions: 'Personal'; 'Standard'; or 'Enterprise'. Functionally Personal is equivalent to Enterprise (just licensed to a single user), whereas Standard primarily drops the ability to add options and has somewhat fewer capabilities in the 'very-high availability' arena.

There are usually a fair number of prerequisites to installing Oracle stuff, and it's very important to track along in the install manual to get the settings and environment right. For example, I'm not sure the JAVA13 should be pointing to a 1.5 SDK - just a guess though as I haven't installed lite in a long while.

So ... did you go through the install manual before you did the install? or just jump right in? Knowing will help us answer the rest of your questions.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com