Re: Is my database OK?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:57:08 -0700

IANAL_VISTA wrote:

> "Andreas Sheriff" <spamcontrol_at_iion.com> wrote in
>

>>"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message

>>>The OP would obviously better use the dbverify utility instead of
>>>this cumbersome method. But I guess dbverify is not included in the
>>>OCP. Also, I never ever experienced block corruption, and I have
>>>survived quite a few crashes.
>>>

>>>--
>>>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>>
>>Of course they taught it. Don't be silly.
>>
>>Question: Does dbverify work with online datafiles?
>>
>>Not!
>>
>>RE: 8.1.7 documentation heading for dbverify:
>> "DBVERIFY: Offline Database Verification Utility"
>>
>>The OP is online. He's already started up his database and, I'm
>>assuming, it's already in production?
>>
>>Do you suggest that he take each of his datafiles offline and run
>>dbverify against them? Perhaps when he was testing whether or not the
>>database was ok he should have used dbverify. And if he wishes to
>>still use dbverify, then he'll have to come in early in the morning,
>>take each datafile offline, and run dbverify against it.
>>
>>And just because you've never been to outer space doesn't mean it
>>isn't there, or have you...
>>

> From: http://download-
> west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76955/ch09.htm#1936
>
> DBVERIFY is an external command-line utility that performs a physical data
> structure integrity check on an offline database. It can be used against
> backup files and online files (or pieces of files).
>
> I run it weekly via cron against my 24x7 DB.

And in 10g one can either run the stand-alone DBV executable or the internal DBMS_DBVERIFY package. And surely no one is running a package owned by SYS with a database that isn't open.

I wonder where anyone got the idea you couldn't run DBV with an open database?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org