Re: Challenge with Oracle 10G without Network on AIX

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 03:07:46 GMT

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 02:52:43 +0000, IANAL_VISTA interested us by writing:

> IMO, you have at least 2 separate problems & maybe more.
>
> First & foremost, Oracle does NOT require ANY network or related connection
> to fully function as a database server; no DNS, no listener, NOTHING!

Right. But, based on the TNSNAMES.ora entry, the client may be expecting to connect to a listener through TCP/IP.

ANd if the TCP/IP subsystem is doing 'interesting things' as a result of lack of network suport (eg: DNS, DHCP services, etc), who knows where the clients are pointing.

I suspect your later comment about the environment variables should be 'first and foremost' in this instance.

However, OP did indicate that the server processes are up based on a ps. The lack of good connection via sqlplus supports the idea of bummed environment variables. (That sorta gives a hint that the variables may be set in an executable that is on a shared device. Any disk sharing going on in networked mode?) The shoutdown abort don't make sense though for that case.

I wonder what the alert.log shows. (OP: It's found in the bdump directory, as indicated by the background_dump_dest in the initXXX.ora or spfileXXXX.ora - don't modify the spfile.) r the Listener.log in the $ORACLE_HOME/network/logs directory.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com