Help with intermittant slow down

From: Lee <Lee_at_Jamtoday.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:22:09 -0600

I'm out of my league here, perhaps someone can give me a boost.

We're seeing (to us) mysterious intermittant slow downs (query which normally takes say a few seconds , no change of data, run during "slowdown" time takes a minute and a half.

The best I can come up with to try to pin down what's happening is to run Tom Kyte's "runstats_pkg" for a SQL known to "slow down" when the sickness hits; then run it again when the system is slow. (The package initializes a stats table, wants you to run "way A" , collect statistics, run "way B", then run the "wrap up" routine. That last routine pretty prints various run time statistics so you can compare and contrast the resources consumed by "way A" and "way B".

Can anyone think of something a bit slicker? For one thing, I'll have to wait till the system shows signs of being "sick". Who knows how long I'll have to wait, or how I "know" that I'm in the "slow" state. Then too, analysing the statistics might lead to more mysteries, but lets not put the cart before the horse.

Is there such a thing as "the top N reasons you might see intermittent slow down" ? And if so, is there some "differential diagonoses" I can do to either eliminate the unlikely or point the quilty finger at the more likely cause?

I know, the best advice is "so get a real DBA already", but that isnt happening, so I'm the next best thing (and heaven help us). Received on Fri Jun 24 2005 - 21:22:09 CDT