Re: Is my database OK?

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:25:46 -0700

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:014pb11eo4us57h5l3fmu204j7e850rr05_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:48:20 -0700, "Andreas Sheriff"
> <spamcontrol_at_iion.com> wrote:
>

>>Use:
>>ANALYZE (TABLE | INDEX | CLUSTER) table_name VALIDATE STRUCTURE; /* Etc...
>>*/
>>
>>Oracle won't tell you there's block corruption till you try to read from
>>that block.
>>Do this when database activity is at a minimum because this procedure can
>>be
>>very time consuming.
>
> The OP would obviously better use the dbverify utility instead of this
> cumbersome method. But I guess dbverify is not included in the OCP.
> Also, I never ever experienced block corruption, and I have survived
> quite a few crashes.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Of course they taught it. Don't be silly.

Question: Does dbverify work with online datafiles?

Not!

RE: 8.1.7 documentation heading for dbverify:  "DBVERIFY: Offline Database Verification Utility"

The OP is online. He's already started up his database and, I'm assuming, it's already in production?

Do you suggest that he take each of his datafiles offline and run dbverify against them? Perhaps when he was testing whether or not the database was ok he should have used dbverify. And if he wishes to still use dbverify, then he'll have to come in early in the morning, take each datafile offline, and run dbverify against it.

And just because you've never been to outer space doesn't mean it isn't there, or have you...

--
Andreas
Oracle 9i Certified Professional

"If you don't eat your meat, you cannot have any pudding.
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!?!"
---

WARNING:
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
Reply to me only on this newsgroup