Re: Is my database OK?

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:48:20 -0700

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:haoob11mp3aeu82nodg7f8u3gqgqh6rsuj_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:22:34 GMT, "Randy Harris" <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Dave" <x_at_x.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Randy Harris" <randy_at_SpamFree.com> wrote in message
>>earlier

>>What

>>> the alert log in background_dump_dest
>>>
>>> if it opened then the database is a clean state. Your app might need
>>> checking though
>>>

>>Thanks very much for pointing me to that alert log. I closely examined
>>the
>>section from today's events. It says that the "crash recovery completed
>>successfully". Would you think that sufficient to be confident that the
>>database is OK?
>
> crash recovery including the subsequent 'database opened' message.
> If there are inconsistencies, the database definitely won't open.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I know the database opened ok, but you might want to check for block corruption. If there was a fire, sudden power loss and physical damage, could there be a potential for hard disk damage as well? If your disk array, or wherever you're storing your datafiles, doesn't have it's own battery backup, bad things can happen to your datafiles.

Use:
ANALYZE (TABLE | INDEX | CLUSTER) table_name VALIDATE STRUCTURE; /* Etc... */

Oracle won't tell you there's block corruption till you try to read from that block.
Do this when database activity is at a minimum because this procedure can be very time consuming.

For more information reference the ANALYZE sql statement documentation. To learn how to fix block corruption, reference RMAN.

--
Andreas
Oracle 9i Certified Professional

"If you don't eat your meat, you cannot have any pudding.
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!?!"
---

WARNING:
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
Reply to me only on this newsgroup