Re: Challenge with Oracle 10G without Network on AIX

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:25:02 GMT

When on the network, are you getting the IP address using DHCP? If so, simply putting an entry into /etc/hosts might get you going. (Also, then realize that the proper Oracle server has a static address.)

Also, a common problem on some machines & OSs I've used: if the network card isn't attached to a hub, the network services are on but inoperative. Windows on some Dell laptops is a perfect example ... I carry around a $30 4-port hub for my laptop to get around that problem. (The machine will not even bring up the network subsystem to allow lopback.)

A few other things possible -

Perhaps you are targetting a network IP when online and 127.0.0.1 offline, but the database's automatic registration (see initialization parameters & pfile) is heading towards the online server or IP address.

Or perhaps you are looking for DNS server-name IP resolution.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com