Re: Challenge with Oracle 10G without Network on AIX

From: <jeff.a.sullivan_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 Jun 2005 13:13:15 -0700

> You qualify for the prize for the vaguest post of this month.
> My crystall ball can't understand what 'won't accept connections'
> means, nor can it understand why you didn't verify the database is
> simply down.

I did point out that I'm not a DBA. I put forth all of the information I could think to post. I came here for help because I'm not an expert; go figure. Granted, I should have removed the AIX/pSeries terminology I used in an internal post(VIO, HMC, partitions.)

I'll take the criticism, but at least throw in if there is a way I can explain better, i.e. check xyz log file; run this simple command to show db status...

The system's network card was not removed, the 10/100 switch that the system is plugged into has had its link that goes to the rest of the network removed from the company network; this is the only variable that's changed. With that disconnect, the gateway and DNS I point to in network settings are no longer accessible.

Before (when it worked): AIX/Oracle server ----> 10/100 Switch-----> Company Network.
After: AIX/Oracle server ----> 10/100 Switch

As for unable to connect to database... again, I'll preface with I'm not a DBA. My experience with Oracle DB's is from an application perspective. I know that a lsnrctl status command no longer shows my instance/SID. I know it does show up with network plugged in (after a reboot.) I login to sqlplus with my Oracle home, SID, etc. set and am unable to do anthing other than a shutdown abort.. Shutdown and Shutdown immediate doesn't ever return to a command prompt. Again, works fine after reboot & reconnect to WAN. I do a "ps -ef | grep ora" and see the usual ora_SID processes. A topas (equiv to "top" on linux) shows Oracle still using 50% of my CPU now 2 days later.

I've verified hostname resolution in the /etc/hosts... I've got shortname, fully qualified host and domain name, and IP address. Is there something specific I should have here? I have not looked into anything regarding the tnsnames.ora; I'll search on this. Is there something specific I should have? Received on Fri Jun 24 2005 - 15:13:15 CDT