Re: can someone recommend a good pl/sql book for 10g

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:12:50 GMT

> I am wondering if the
> 1) "Oracle Database 10g PL/SQL Programming" by Scott Urman is worth it
> 2) Is there a better book that would cover advanced pl/sql programming
> in 10g

Personal picks ... since you ave a decent book that covers 'old pl/sql', I recommend the following, in order:

  1. Oracle Press:"Effective Oracle by Design" - Tom Kyte
    • a must-have if you have any interest in performance, scale, ...
  2. APress!: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL" - Connor McDonald
    • the subtitle 'Practical SOlutions' explains it all
  3. Oracle doc: "PL/SQL Packages and Types Reference"
    • avoid duplicating Oracle's pre-built solutions
  4. Oracle doc: "PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference"
    • just cause ... see the new features section
  5. O'Reilly: "Mastering Oracle SQL" Mishra & Beaulieu
    • avoid PL when SQL will do, especially with the lastest improvements
  6. Oracle doc: "Application Developer's Guide - yyy"
    • guidelines for general and specialty coding

Oracle docs are at http://docs.oracle.com, and the 10g specificaly are http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db10g/portal.portal_demo3?selected=1

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com