Re: Challenge with Oracle 10G without Network on AIX

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:39:20 +0200

On 24 Jun 2005 07:20:56 -0700, jeff.a.sullivan_at_gmail.com wrote:

>Hopefully, this situation isn't that unique, although I've searched
>usenet and haven't found anything that helps as of yet. I'm running a
>pSeries 510 with 4 partitions (1 VIO, 2 AIX 5.3, 1 SUSE 9). This
>system, along with an HMC, will be used for traveling demos. On one of
>my AIX 5.3 partitions, I have Oracle 10G installed. While on the
>network in the office, Oracle runs correctly (apps connect, life is
>good)...
>
>However, once I powerdown and restart the server and partitions without
>the network the fun begins. -- Oracle won't accept any connections;
>the listener starts but does not list the instance I
>created anymore in the status; (I'm not a DBA, but I did find on usenet
>that the 10G db's will tell the listener they exist.) Oracle is
>using 50% of the assigned processor; although I have no clue what its
>doing. It will maintain this usage indefinitely (I've let it run over
>night). The database doesn't want to shutdown unless 'shutdown abort'
>is issued. I've flushed
>the routing tables, which hasn't helped. Other network related tasks
>(ssh, ftp, etc )on the partition are working correctly. All the
>partitions, as well as another node I have in the switch (that's no
>longer on the network) can communicate with each other. If I reboot
>and place the switch back on the network, all is well. Any thoughts on
>how I can get Oracle to run on AIX without the network? I've posted a
>similar thread in an AIX group to see if they have any ideas.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.

You qualify for the prize for the vaguest post of this month. My crystall ball can't understand what 'won't accept connections' means, nor can it understand why you didn't verify the database is simply down.
There is no reason why Oracle doesn't work without network card, provided it is properly configured.
That can imply
- setting up the /etc/hosts properly
It can also imply
- setting the tnsnames.ora properly, so you don't need the network card.
There is no advise possible on that as your post only contains irrelevant assertions.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA