Re: remotely region databases backup transfer

From: CS <csjaring_at_myjaring.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:00:20 +0800

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1119538227.939442_at_yasure...
> CS wrote:
>> "cs" <csjaring_at_myjaring.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>What is the best way of getting remote database backups ?
>>>There are some considerations about the database sizing (50GB~700GB),
>>>network consumption, firewalls and other limitations.
>>>
>>>I am thinking about restoration through tapes, but would like to know
>>>from you for other suggestions.
>>>
>>>thank you
>>>

>> Wow, I wonder what's the reason why no one would like to answer this
>> thread ?
>
> Because I hadn't seen it before being one reason. So here goes.
>
> Tape is too expensive and too slow. Forget about tape and use RMAN to
> back up to the most inexpensive hard disks you can find. Recycle the
> disks just as you would tape.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

I know I didn't make it clear to understand my case here. I was actually talking about both target(s) and destination DB servers are separately located in different regions in the world, eg Asia region, America region, Europe region.

Although there are inter-connected via corporate WAN, transfering over the net is not a considerable solution. Currently we have only a choice which is through tapes and hand-over tapes through flights courier shipping.

All these are still in planning stage and really like to find out some workable solution.

thanks,
CS Received on Fri Jun 24 2005 - 09:00:20 CDT