Re: How to translate UML Class Diagram into Database Design ?

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 24 Jun 2005 06:15:43 -0700

xtanto_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Do you mean, you don't do SubType SuperType, aggregation, composition
> etc etc in your class diagram ?

Negative. What I mean is that oo design implementation in a relation database or object relational database need careful thought.

Oracle is not a pure oo database.It provides so-called O-R (object relational) features one can use. These work pretty well. But are restrictive in the sense that Oracle is at its core a relation database technology. I'm not aware of any proven and mature oo databases. Sure, there are claimes. Like Cache db.

Fact. Ignoring marketing bullshit, Oracle is the most technical advance and scalable and robust database technology on this planet.

Data is the core of an oo design or any information system. What I'm saying is that one needs to design for that. Not for the application. Business requirements changes. Marketing window oppertunities are measures in month and no longer years. And getting smaller. The only way to survive that is having a solid db core.

To protect and leverage the data, you need a solid db design. That means no longer treating the db as a bit bucket, and the physical db design being as important, if not more, than the logical design.

OO technology is great. I like. However, I am hesitant to put it into production. Relational design theory and practise are mature. Robust. Issues are well known. OO is not. So I'm very happy to oo PL/SQL (application layer) into the data, but I'm hard pressed to substitute relational design for an oo design at db core.

--
Billy