Re: Could 10g RMAN's catalog DB talk to different version

From: <dominica_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2005 17:02:46 -0700

Hi Joel,

> Personally, I get way more out of these things (usenet and some
> boards)than I put in. And consequently, so do companies who use me.

You do consulting too? Just curious.

> Flattery will get you everywhere :)
>
> > Yeah, I have been trying very hard to learn 10g now.
> > Since I have not worked as ORACLE production DBA for 2 years and
> > a few months (some family thing).
>
> So you are a lady? I've been wondering since someone referred to you
> as "he." I usually think a name ending in a is feminine, but one can
> never tell with all the various naming conventions in the world, and of
> course I've been assigned email addresses like "joelga".

Yes, I am "dominica" ,(a lady).

> > I just start working again in a pretty cool place(cool site, very high
> > traffic though).
>
> I'm envious :)

Don't envy me. Very crazy in my work.

Oh, I would like to ask you another thing:

what is the best place to read about
how to tune the following parameters:

optimizer_index_cost_adj=??
optimizer_index_caching=??
undo_management=AUTO (????)
undo_tablespace=undotbs2

undo_retention=1800 (???)
undo_suppress_errors = FALSE
pga_aggregate_target=25165824 (????)

Basically what I am trying to is , to try to set the new parameters for 10g when I upgrade to 10g db from oracle 8. I am just setting it in a test instance. But still I need to know where I should read to find out what is the size of those parameter I need to use.

I know there is a tool from oracle 10g upgrade that will do some recommendation on the parameter. I have NOT run it yet.

Basically my site on a low day, there are 75 million executions per day.

And if you look at my consistent gets.
A lot of time, it is doing 8 or 10 million consistent gets per minute. Crazy , crazy.

Dom