Re: Learning ASM and how to work with RAW devices

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:22:07 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

> One of the best technologies Oracle has released in recent years is ASM.
> And as much as many Oracle DBAs would like to learn ASM, and how to work
> with RAW devices, they have been stymied by the lack of hardware on
> which they can learn. That problem has been solved.

Several times, already. Except the Apple OS/X piece, that's new -- and a welcome addition.

> Kent Stroker of the Puget Sound Oracle Users Group has released a White
> Paper available for download from www.psoug.org on how to create virtual
> RAW devices on a single hard disk. The technique is not unlike, in some
> respects, the creation of virtual RAW devices on an EMC array.

The same information, for the Linux side, is in Metalink note 266028.1.   If you want to incorporate ASMLib into the picture, see Note 303760.1, which otherwise also contains pretty much the same steps.

For Windows, a very nice document showing how to set up ASM using logical drives on a single disk was produced by the Oracle Technology Solutions Group, Oracle U.K. This document also illustrates test cases that exercise ASM functionality. (I have the doc, but can't find the WWW link to it anymore -- if there's any interest, I'll contact the authors to see about re-posting it somewhere).

Both the Metalink notes and the Windows doc go on to show how to actually use the newly-created ASM storage from DBCA and/or SQL*Plus, which would be a nice addition for the Apple OS/X doc too.

> <DISCLAIMER>
> And for those few looking to throw a four letter word at this ... there
> is NO PROMOTION of anything, any product, any service, etc. This White
> Paper is purely there for education purposes and no implicit or explicit
> message is intended. So I will not be responding to your angst.
> </DISCLAIMER>

<OT>
This could be considered promotion of PSOUG and Advanced Technology Services, Inc. But that's OK -- nowhere in the charter for c.d.o.s. or

c.d.o.marketplace is the word "promotion" used.  We all know what
c.d.o.m. is, and why almost none of the posters in the other three
c.d.o.* groups ever use it, for anything.

Postings such as this one, where there is clearly no solicitation to exchange money, seem very appropriate for this group, and hopefully the same courtesy will be extended to others who wish to promote "[a]ny topic which is especially of interest to those performing database or system administration duties" (from the charter).

The only postings here that clearly deserve flaming are job postings and offers to sell or buy a product or service. _Reviewing_ a product or service seems to go through without question. I have seen people flamed here for "spamming" simply because they announced a GNU GPL'd tool from   sourceforge.net that they thought might be relevant. Hard to see how that violates the charter, or deserves flaming, any more than this posting. </OT>

-Mark Bole Received on Thu Jun 23 2005 - 15:22:07 CDT