Re: RMAN Restore Question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:18:57 +0200

On 23 Jun 2005 12:02:44 -0700, amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:

>Yes, I did delete them. The script does that.
>
>But, that is kind of weird. I mean, a shop has a script that
>automatically runs and backs up the archive logs. Then you restore
>some in order to do some testing or mining.
>
>If you do not disable the script, then your logs get removed the next
>time that script runs from the cron or whatever........

If you don't exclude the range you restored from backing up, that is going to happen. Pretty obvious, I would say

>Is there a way to tell RMAN to only pay attention to the archive log
>destination?

No, of course not! Archive logs are recorded in the controlfile. If an archivelog is in the control file it is being backed up, if the script doesn't exclude it. Information Technology is not about *automating* tasks, not about administrators not paying attention to what they are doing, or administrators not understanding the products they are using.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA