Re: Performance difference between 2 machines

From: Fabrizio <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:22:37 +0200

DA Morgan wrote:

> The reason for the 16K block size? Perhaps someone has been reading too
> many books by authors that haven't backed up their theoretical
> projections with actual benchmarking.
>
> You should be using 4K blocks with AIX.

I could be considered heretic for claiming this...

... but maybe they knew what were doing. If using async i/o (having a good readahead setting) than a 16k is not a bad choice for a DWH.
I would even think of larger block size.

And on post-8i versions you can exploit direct i/o on filesystem so the fs block size "constraint" is greatly relaxed.

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com

replace mycontinent with europe