Re: Cross Platform Database Access

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 21 Jun 2005 22:35:30 -0700

Mohit Garg wrote:

> I have a system with a dual boot option (Linux+Windows).
> 1. I wish to install Oracle through command prompt on LINUX.

Not possible as far as I know.. The Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) is a Java based GUI application and that needs X-Windows on the Unix/Linux platform. There is an unattended install option, but I've never used it and not sure if it can be done without using X.

Also keep in mind Oracle is certified for certain specific Linux server/enterprise versions. It is definitely not certified for "home" or desktop Linux versions - and getting it to install and run on something like Fedora Core is not a painless event.

> 2. Is the Oracle DB installation is different for LINUX and Windows

Yes. You need to ensure that the Linux kernel and o/s meet the prerequisites for Oracle. You may need to check and change some kernel parameters. Upgrade gclib or gcc.

> I have the windows one. How can i get the version for LINUX (if it is
> different).

>From Oracle's download section (see www.oracle.com and click on the
download link(

> 3.Can the data of both the installations can be shared ?

Interesting question. You can place the actual database on a raw disk (raw partitions). That provides a "common media" that both Windows and Linux Oracle versions support. After all the Oracle Windows version cannot read ext2/ext3 Linux file systems and data files as this file system is not supported by Microsoft Windows. NTFS support on Linux is very basic and I doubt that it will work good enough for Oracle Linux to use it.

Instead raw provides a common format.. given the exact same Oracle versions and patch levels, it just could work by having the database on raw and dual booting between Linux and Windows with Oracle using the same database.

--
Billy