ORACLE HAS A BUG

From: Al Brown <usenet_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:13:51 GMT

One of our DBA's found a relevant TAR on Matalink. It is an outstanding bug for some years. Over a WAN this is a huge problem is you are retrieving small amounts of data as in our case the overall amount of data returned is about 5000 (yes thousand) times as much as we are asking for. So instead of being a MS problem the ball is firmly in Oracles court.

Thanks

Note:258644.1 Content Type: TEXT/X-HTML
Subject: All Package Stored Procedure Descriptions Are Returned. Creation Date: 28-NOV-2003
Type: PROBLEM Last Revision Date: 29-JAN-2004 Status: PUBLISHED
The information in this article applies to: Oracle Provider for OLE DB - Version: 9.2 to 9.2 Oracle ODBC Driver - Version: 8.0 to 9.2 This problem can occur on any platform.
Symptoms
Customer has a performance problem with OLE DB when calling stored procedures
in a large package that return ref cursors. This is because we query the entire package to determine the parameters, fetching back the whole package spec, which causes vast amounts of network traffic to be generated. The ODBC driver works the same way.
The Microsoft Provider performs better in this instance because it calls DBMS_DESCRIBE.DESCRIBE_PROCEDURE() for just the procedure being called. Cause
This is under investigation in Bug 3229850 PERFORMANCE PROBLEM WITH LARGE PACKAGES AND REF CURSORS.
Fix
There is no solution currently available. References
<BUG:3229850 </metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=BUG&id=3229850>> - Performance Problem With Large Packages And Ref Cursors Received on Tue Jun 21 2005 - 12:13:51 CDT