Re: Been reading a few messages...

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:36:14 -0700

"HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:pan.2005.06.20.21.23.57.527482_at_telus.net...
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:34:06 -0700, fitzjarrell interested us by writing:
>

> >> (Where have you encountered a statement that Oracle Certified DBA ==
> >> Oracle Certified Professional. I'd like to stand corrected.)
> >>

> > Every resume presented to me during the hiring phase of employment.
> > Again, I'm in the U.S. and it may be a different scenario here.
> > Usually, on resumes, Oracle Certified DBA is joined by the OCP logo
> > (provided when one attains the status of Oracle Certified
> > Professional). As such, it's what I'm used to seeing, and how I'm used
> > to interpreting the 'Oracle Certified DBA' claim. I stated this in my
> >

> I do not argue that OCP and Oracle Certified DBA are a proper connection.
> And I do not doubt that many OCPs make the connection.
>
> However, I do not recall any official document that supports the idea that
> "Oracle Certified DBA" implies "Oracle Certified Professional".
>
> However, as you state, the implication is there based on traditional
usage.

> >> As I said, he's learned the lessons from marketing quite well. AFAICT,
> >> he didn't lie .. he led you to the edge and watched you
> >> jump. <g>
> >>

> > In my mind Oracle Certified Associates haven't covered sufficient
> > material to consider themselves Oracle Certified DBAs. Oracle
> > Corporation may have other ideas, so I won't disparage those with OCA in
> > the DBA track from calling themselves 'certified', as, in some respect,
> > they are. Indeed, our intrepid DBA may have led me to the edge of the
> > precipice and waited until I lost my balance due to vertigo. But, I
> > report situations as I've experienced them, and here, in the United
> > States, a resume with 'Oracle Certified DBA' also states 'Oracle
> > Certified Professional'. Possibly that is due to the myriad HR
> > departments requiring OCP for such positions. OCA won't fill the bill
> > as written by Human Resources.
> >
> > And, so it goes. I guess things are different in the Yukon. :)
>
> No, things are not so much different here in Canada. It's just that we
> don't have such big HR organizations filtering for us, so we get to see
> some reality - DBAs, many out of jobs, using whatever techniques they can
> to get an interview.
>
> I totally agree with you that a person who has an OCA (and no added
> experience) is generally not qualified to be an independent Oracle DBA.
> However, I can assure you that many people are getting their OCA (and OCP)
> these days just to say they have a certificate and avoid having resumes
> tossed - whereas their experience is, in many ways, comparable to mine.
> IMO, some of them are indeed qualiified.
>
> Until I see an official document [from Oracle] around that, I will believe
> the association between "Oracle Certified DBA" and "Oracle Certified
> Professional" is ficticious - yet another "Buyer Beware" thing - and on
> the same level as many other Oracle-related myths (true once upon a time
> ...).

> [...]

Damn it, people!

The Sun is shining!

Why do you all like to cogitate and postulate on the most esoteric and meaningless things?!?!
As you have all said before. Oracle is complex enough. Stop arguing about the minutia of a minute statement!

As a matter of fact, saying "Oracle Certified DBA" does not differentiate whether or no one is an OCA, OCP, or OCM. It merely means one is a DBA certified in some respect by Oracle. They could be an entry level DBA, an average DBA, or an expert Oracle guru.

The truth is that I am OCP certified on both 9i and 10g. I just got them, in fact, but I've been dealing with Oracle for the past 5 years (8i, 9i, and 10g).
I am reading the manuals so that my knowledge of Oracle will be complete. There are things in the manual that neither the certification tests nor the certification books teach.
I've learned this essential truth because I started out in the computer world as a programmer, and in programming, sometimes code is not what it seems, even though you wrote it that way. It would behoove anyone, certified or no to read these manuals. I know they total 55k+, but that's the life we chose.

From time to time I make stupid comments like the union thing (never hither to fore to be mentioned again) just to see what other people think. It is my way of picking your brain(s). Don't have a conniption over it!

Go play with your children, already! They miss you.

... That's the last time I post to this newsgroup.

--

Andreas Sheriff (Oracle Certified DBA and PL/SQL Developer)
----

If this is the first email to me,
please place NOSPAM somewhere
in the subject.