Re: Performance difference between 2 machines

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 20 Jun 2005 16:47:54 -0700

Something is bothering me about all this. Here is the user guide: http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00311965/c00311965.pdf See the instructions for checking the array controller logs.

With a RAID setup spreading the I/O among many spindles, why would rotational delay be such a big deal with 2 I/O's given sequentially at the same time through the OS level be different than 2 I/O's given through the Oracle level to the OS level?

I have to wonder what else is going on. Would the OP have glance available? Is db_file_multiblock_read_count set already? Is the pitiful server using a much faster cpu than the hp? Did the test get done multiple times? Is it configured for Autoraid (those would be 256K blocks...)? Stripe size? Watch for swapping?

The customer machine had fewer, much longer waits than the pitiful machine. Almost as though they lost their place in line for some reason.

There's something I'm missing here.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  Stare at the sun, it's good for you!