Re: Performance difference between 2 machines

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:41:58 -0700

Matthias Hoys wrote:

> But, if I use a (low) block size of 4k, won't I risk ending up with lots of
> chained rows for "wide" tables (and thus double i/o to get those rows) ?

Possible. But we have no way of knowing what your average and maximum row lengths are from what you have posted. Or if your tables are properly normalized or have been flattened and thus have row sizes far larger than they should be.

You need to work these things out for yourself based on analysis of your application.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org