Re: Oracle 10g installaiton : one binary but multiple instances

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:31:07 GMT

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:04:43 -0700, kona_iron interested us by writing:

> Hello,
> Is it possible to have the following design for my Oracle Installation
> :
>
> Using only one set of binary
> Multiple Instances.
>
> All the processes of an Instance are started with the same user.
> But each instance has it's own user.
>
> Thank you

This is not a requirement and your design is OK in principle. BUT,

However, by asking the question, you imply that you are not very solid on the concepts, and are perhaps coming from a SQL Server or Sybase background. I am therefore worried that you are heading down the wrong path .... you see, a SQL Server database is roughly comparable to an Oracle Schema, and an Oracle database (and instance) can contain many schemas.

I'd seriously reconsider the idea of each instance having it's own separate user (whatever that means in your case).

And that's another reason why I think you may not have spent enough time in the Oracle Concepts manual (chapters 1-3) from http://docs.oracle.com

That said, reading between some lines in my cloudy crystal ball ... it may not be a bad idea to get used to 1 binary = 1 instance. I see the management tools possibly heading in that direction. (For example, in the App Server, the emctl script in $ORACLE_HOME/bin has some environment variable hard coded ...)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com