Re: Oracle Certification Matrices Question

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:04:56 GMT

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:41:10 -0700, Wally interested us by writing:

> Thanks Daniel,
>
> I know you told me in the past on another post to start with 10g
> straight instead of playing with 9i,
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/browse_thread/thread/fe9682a706260c97/c783dc6d040df2cb#c783dc6d040df2cb
> but I didn't know if I would understand everything in 10g without
> playing with 9i first. I have a lot of experience with 8i although not
> much of DBA stuff.
>
> Other than that I don't have any reason to play with 9i.

Go for 10g. What you learn will still mostly be useful in 9i. Conversely, you can pick up any 9i book and it'll still be relevant.

<verbose diatribe>

Based on my experience, Oracle goes out of their way to be downward compatible across all supported releases (at time of latest release).

That means, with rare exceptions, anything created for 9i will run unchanged in 10g. And, since 10g was released while 8iR3 was out, almost everything developed in 8i will run unchanged in 10g as well.

Those rare exceptions tend to be documented reasonably well in the 'New Features' guide (or section of various manuals).

It also means that Oracle puts in a lot of effort making the new features a 'significant step forward'. This is especially true when the 'Major Database Release Number' changes. Agains - see the New Features stuff.

But the best part, it means that the glitches and awkward interface for managing something have started to be simplified and become useful. (Think Resource Manager, Jobs, Workspace Manager, Spatial Index Advisor, etc. - all part of OEM.)

</verbose diatribe>

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com