Re: Flashback Technology of Oracle 10g

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 06:33:26 -0700

Connor McDonald wrote:
> Terminator wrote:
>

>>Connor Please can you tell me the difference between the flashback
>>database and the normal database and how the Flashback database can be
>>created. Can it be created through the DBCA of the Oracle.
>>And as you told there is another mechanism please brief it SIR.
>>
>>Regards
>>Terminator

> you enable a new form of logging called "flashback logs". They can be
> used to "rewind" a database back to point in time...I've done no testing
> as yet to determine what overhead this might have or how fast a rewind
> is (or isn't)

I've done some and it is very fast compared to the alternatives though I've not done any true benchmarking.

The most important thing to remember is that to FLASHBACK DATABASE you must close the database. So overhead is not much of a problem as there are no users connected.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org