Re: Network trace of Oracle stored procedure result

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 20 Jun 2005 05:50:42 -0700

Al Brown wrote:
> As I said I have already done this, trace shows similar but not idential
> information but still has about a 90K payload for a 15 byte result.

I just ran a quick trace, using ethereal. Here's the SQL*Plus Session traced:
==
/home/billy> sqlplus foo/foo_at_dev

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.5.0 - Production on Mon Jun 20 14:31:46 2005

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning and Oracle Label Security options JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production

SQL> select count(*) from all_objects;
exit;

  COUNT(*)

     33989

SQL> Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning and Oracle Label Security options JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
==

Ignoring the OCI connection authentication (i.e. the client auth with the Oracle server) and ACK packets:

Client:SELECT count(*) FROM all_objects
Packets:1
Size:151 bytes on the wire

Server: result of the count(*)
Packets:1
Size:117 bytes on the wire

Client: FETCH NEXT
Packets:1
Size:117 bytes on the wire

Server: ORA-01403: no data found
Packets:1
Size:136 bytes on the wire

Client: CLOSE CURSOR
Packets:1
Size: 79 bytes on the wire

The following packets were for the EXIT command in SQL*Plus. If you want the sniffer dump file, it is 13130 bytes total size in libpcap format.

I'm pretty sure what you're seeing ito of a 90KB payload is either a) hidden SQLs caused by the db interface driver (Microsoft ADO) b) a poorly written client application that does not do what you think it does

If you beg to differ, please post technical results to back up your conclusion that a 90KB payload results when that is suppose to a small (couple of bytes) response from Oracle.

--
Billy