Re: Been reading a few messages...

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 04:18:24 GMT

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:16:31 -0700, Andreas Sheriff interested us by writing:

> Tell me...
>
> Why are all the responses on this group so harsh?

In many cases the person asking the question has obviously not made an attempt to look up/reason out/experiment with possible solutions.

When answering the same question for the 73rd time, (and knowing that the question had been answered just a week or a month ago, and could be find using Google) I tend to get a tad abrupt.

And some of us simply are not as verbose as I am.

You might want to glance through Eric Raymond's "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" at http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html - he covers some of this. I 'specially like the part about

"
Dealing with rudeness

Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offence. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy. "

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com