Re: Issues with OS and database performance

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 07:57:43 -0700

barraboombarrabin wrote:
> We have a datawarehouse which has some performance issues.
> I am look for some reading material on how to analyze issues at the
> operating system level and correlating that with database performance.
> Specifically, I am looking for Red Hat Linux Operating system release 3
> and Oracle data 9.2.0.4 database.
> Basically, I need to generate some kind of stats looking at the output
> of commands like sar on OS and relate them to specific queries running
> in the database by looking at information from tools like statspack.
> Any books or articles that you can suggest that provide a good insight
> into this area will be appreciated.
>
> Thank you

sar
iostat
vmstat
etc.

The issue is truly not generating numbers: Anyone can do it. The issue is obtaining the expertise to comprehend what you are looking at: The implications, the root cause, and determine the best strategy to address it.

Generally speaking those that have the expertise described ... already know which tools to use. So be sure you aren't just generating a lot of data rather than a lot of information.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org