Re: free Oracel/SQL compiler

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:19:32 GMT

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:47:39 -0700, ehabaziz2001 interested us by writing:

> I need to download free compilers for Oracle and SQL to teach my self .
> Is there any minimum of windows or Solaris requirements ?

Before you start with that, I strongly encourage you get a better handle on some of the basic terminology. Two recomended books before you download anything from ORacle:

  1. Oracle Essentials (from O'Reilly books) http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oressentials3/
  2. Oracle's online Concepts manual - at least chapter 1 http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db10g/portal.portal_demo3?selected=1 (and see the 'Getting STarted' section)

After that, you can read the Quick Installation guide for the operating system of your choice - same page - to get an idea of system requirements and minimums.

<please consider>
For your sake, and ours, please don't skip the reading. Skipping the Concepts manual will only cause everyone frustration.

I know you are really smart and can learn this on your own, but there really is a reason that the official Oracle documentation is over 55,000 pages ... it is complex.
</please consider>

Then, once you have Oracle installed, get yourself down the right development path by reading and following the examples in Thomas Kyte's "Effective Oracle by Design"

Also: cross posting to the entire comp.database.oracle.* heirarchy really is not necessary as the same people tend to read and respond.

You refer to SQL ... from the post, I assume you mean MicroSoft SQL Server. I also encourage you to have the same respect for the Microsoft product and community by spending at least a little bit of time trying to understand some concepts before using that.

<observation>
SQL is a language, not Microsoft's product. Using the abbreviation for Microsoft's product usually is an indication of newbies mistakenly trying to impress people. OR a SQL Server pro discussing the product with other SQL Server pros in a situation where the term can not be confused. </observation>

Finally - realize that there are enough differences that the two products should be learned separately. Attempting to learn both at the same time, or attempting to switch from one to the other without learning the difference, will cause you and us horrible frustration. Not the least of which being overloaded terminology - same term meaning diferent things.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com