INSERTS - Reducing Buffer Gets/Sequential Read Waits

From: c5sieb <sieb_at_cinci.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:44:28 GMT

Performance Gurus,

Has anyone a proven technique for reducing "sequential file waits" during INSERT statements? Some very large tables, with only one or two indexes are incurring this wait event (from a SQL trace) and have high buffer gets (from Statspack). Is it safe to assume that this appears to be primarily due to the index probes? We really can't drop or disable the indexes in this OLTP environment. We are planning to partition several of these large tables with over 1000 range partitions and use local indexes. Also, would changing the block size of either the table and/or index tablespace from 8k to 16k (or 32k) help? We can't change the code (like adding hints), as we are using a 3rd party application to perform the data loads.

Steve Received on Fri Jun 17 2005 - 05:44:28 CDT