Re: How to Read Files Located Outside the Oracle Server Using PL/SQL

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:47:10 +0200

belda2010_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to read files from a directory located outside the Oracle
> database server, using a pl/sql procedure. I have tried to do this
> operation using utl_file package and java storage procedures, no
> chance, it doesn't work.
>
> 1- Is it true that there is no way to access remote directories
> (located outside of the Oracle server) using an pl/sql procedure?
>
> 2- If so, please help! What can I do to get access to such directories
> from my pl/sql procedure?
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Belinda

You can, if you use UNC (not mapped disks): \\fileserver\sharename, instead of S:\
Requires Oracle server to be started with domain access, and share has to get access rights via domain user. Changing password means the lot won't work anymore, without bouncing db.

Is it worth the hassle?

Oh - it *is* documented, btw.

--
Regards,