Re: imp - BLOB - reduce imp time

From: Tom <tomNOSPAM_at_teameazyriders.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:18:56 +0100

groups_at_karsten-schmidt.com wrote:
> Hi,
> well, for transportable tablespaces you need some downtime, at least
> make the tablespace read-only.
> many times this will not work due to not getting the chance to make it
> read-only, which for many equals downtime.
> Still, restoring your database somewhere, and doing the transportable
> tablespace trick might be faster than exp/imp. Really depends on the
> size of your database (to be precise the number of rows in the table
> with BLOB columns).
>
> If the imp only takes two hours, it's probably not worth investigating
> other options.

yes thanks both

saw these responses today and the issue is we are a 24x7 shop so can't downtime anything - I guess restore a copy using RMAN to a dev box and then do the tablespace thing from there is it starts to take a LONG time.

thanks for the tips - i was just worried i was being really dumb when it came to the imp

thanks Received on Fri Jun 17 2005 - 03:18:56 CDT