Re: How to Read Files Located Outside the Oracle Server Using PL/SQL

From: Chris ( Val ) <chrisval_at_bigpond.com.au>
Date: 16 Jun 2005 18:19:37 -0700

belda2010_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Chris,
> Unfortunately, there is no Oracle database on the other machine.
> Your suggestion concerning VBScript raises on me an idea: Can I invoke
> javascript from pl/sql?

Hi Belinda,

I don't think so (well, at least I don't know of a way to do that directly), but you should be able to execute a system command with a Java stored procedure (preferred).

Alternatively, you can create an external procedure in Oracle.

For example, you could compile a small C++ program which makes use of the std::system() function, and through an external procedure defined in Oracle, you could pass an appropriate host string to it.

Java is probably the best choice though, as external procedures can lead to poor security - Google it up for the nitty gritty details :-)

Cheers,
Chris Val Received on Thu Jun 16 2005 - 20:19:37 CDT