Re: Time to create index

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 16 Jun 2005 08:53:02 -0700

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way, based on the number of records in a table, to figure
> out an estimate on how long it would take to create an index?
>
> This table has about 4 million rows, and the index creation time took
> almost 20 minutes.
>
> Since we have a lot of large tables, I'd be curious if I can figure out
> how long it would take to create the index.......
>
> Thanks,
>
> Arthur

There is no "one size fits all" answer for this kind of question. It will vary greatly by what kind of disk system you have, how many processors, etc.

But mostly it will vary by what table you are indexing, the number and types of columns, whether they are unique or not, etc.

Did you increase the SORT memory size before running the create index? Did you use UNRECOVERABLE?

These can help a lot ( see asktom.oracle.com on stuff like that ). Received on Thu Jun 16 2005 - 10:53:02 CDT