Re: 9.2.0.6 patchset failure

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 16 Jun 2005 05:33:01 -0700

Billy wrote:
> o/s: HP-UX B.11.11
> Oracle: 9.2.0.5
>
> Applying the the 9.2.0.6 patchset and run into a weird relink error.
> The installer runs a make which in turn runc cc and ld - and ld
> complains that the parameters used are incorrect.
> ==snippet from install log==
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: cannot open +s: No such file or directory
> *** Error exit code 1
> ==
>
> cc is executed as follows:
> cc -Wl,+s -Wl,+n +DA2.0W +DS2.0 -o <rest of parameters>
>
> Both the +s and +n parameters causes cc to fail. (I copy and pasted the
> relink into a shell script and manually tested it). Both seems to be
> valid params according to man pages.
>
> +n = Causes the linker to load all object modules before searching any
> archive or shared libraries.
>
> +s = Indicates that at run-time, the shared library loader can use the
> environment variables LD_LIBRARY_PATH/SHLIB_PATH
>
> What makes this weird as testing a fresh/new 9.2.0.1 install on the
> same platform runs into the same error - and this after 9.2.0.1 was
> installed successfully some time ago and patched to 9.2.0.5. Unix
> sysadmin says that no o/s patches have been installed since.
>
> Will appreciate any ideas and pointers on this one. Thanks.
>
> --
> Billy

I suspect you are setting some things in your PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH that are causing problems. Check out the doco on the base install and patchset ... lots of times people have more set for doing oracle maintenance than they should. The installer these days is pretty good on hpux about knowing where things are and setting up other stuff that it needs.

Like you we are hpux 11.11 and I have been patched up to 9.2.06 rac for a long time now. I don't recall any big problems with the 9.2.0.6 patchset except having to do some funky things (comment out the clusterware parameter) dealing with the 9.2.0.6 installer is really 10g based.

Here's what my ld and cc are point to apparently.

> which ld

/usr/bin/ld
> which cc

/usr/bin/cc Received on Thu Jun 16 2005 - 07:33:01 CDT