Re: Anyone use the Automatic Shared Memory Management in 10g

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:03:45 GMT

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:30:30 -0700, Billy interested us by writing:

>> Just curious whether anyone using 10g on a unix system and
>> using the new "Automatic Shared Memory Management" and
>> any thought on it.
>>

> ASM is in essense just another type of Logical Volume Manager (LVM) -
> just with a very specific Oracle focus. It can do RAID10 for you,

Billy, I agree with your comments about ASM. It's an area that has great potential, and will be very significant in my work - once it's 'mature'. When it works, it's very good. At this time, I find it still needs a bit of coddling.

However, I believe OP is asking about Automatic Shared Memory tuning, not Automatic Storage Management.

To OP ...

in your existing system, have you had the need change your SGA config based on workload changes? Eg: do you have week end, month end or year end work that requires a different SGA from other times?

If yes, ASMM is great.

If no, is it because you have no need to reconfigure? or perhaps because you have: no time; not thought about it; don't know how or when; etc.?

I certainly see the SGA becoming more 'fine grained' ... the 10g Concepts manual discusses the various pools, including the 'new' Streams Pool. (I keep wondering if that has a Jacuzzi.)

In the 'more instances with fewer administrators' world, I don't mind the system advising me, and even taking over, in the management of stuff like the SGA slices. The idea of telling the instance 'you have x GB memory, allocate it to the various pools based on need and history' instead of logging in at 10 PM to bounce an instance with a different pfile sort of appeals to me.

IN the same light, AWR and ADDM (as well as the various advisors) are becoming very good friends of mine.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com