Connecting ORACLE through Firewall

From: Pascal Coolen via DBMonster.com <forum_at_nospam.DBMonster.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:21:16 GMT

I have set up an ORACLE 9.2.0.3 on a server in DMZ. I also installed the client runtime on a desktop in the company LAN. I used CMAN on the server side to fix the Net8 PORT that has been opened in our Firewall. One for connection instantiation (1521) and one for the client communication (1610).

My CMAN.ORA looks like this:
CMAN = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=saturne)(PORT=1610)) CMAN_ADMIN = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=saturne)(PORT=1830)) CMANAGER_NAME = CMAN
CMAN_PROFILE = (PARAMETER_LIST =
( MAXIMUM_RELAYS=1024 )
( LOG_LEVEL=4 )
( TRACING=yes )
( RELAY_STATISTICS=yes )
( SHOW_TNS_INFO=yes )
( USE_ASYNC_CALL=yes )
( AUTHENTICATION_LEVEL=0 )
( REMOTE_ADMIN=FALSE )
               )

My TNSNAMES.ORA looks like this:
SATURNE =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (SOURCE_ROUTE=YES)
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = saturne)(PORT = 1610))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = saturne)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = ora92)
    )
  )

Basic tests are correct. I am able to connect to the server from SQL*Plus and query the database. However, if I dont send queries for some times, it seems a timeout occurs that closes the connection after a few minutes and SQL*Plus reports the following:
SQL>
  1* select * from dual
select * from dual
*
ERREUR à la ligne 1 :
ORA-03113: fin de fichier sur canal de communication

I looked to LISTENER.LOG and CMAN_xxx.LOG, and did not see anything particular except my connection shows up, then disappears affer a line saying "Service Update...".

Did I forgot some keywords in my configuration files ?

Best regards, Received on Wed Jun 15 2005 - 05:21:16 CDT