Re: QUESTION: Basic stuff about RMAN 9i

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 00:46:14 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2005 13:53:50 -0700, "DW" <dwhittier_at_shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>Ah.
>>
>>D-uh.
>>
>>Thanks (sheepishly staring at my shoes). ;-)
>>
>>Hm - I'd be curious to hear more about the need for a catalog. - Seems
>>to me to allow enough additional flexibility to be the obvious choice...

> I don't know why I should respond, as there seems to be some troll
> here, who is claiming I am an idiot.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

The troll named himself markus, DW did the right thing and ignored him. So should you.

To the OP:
If you *need* the flexibility of the catalog, go ahead and use it, but you better be sure. After all, you need a separate instance (that should be on a separate host) which requires maintenance (mainly backup) and possibly a licence. There are reasons to use it, and by defining what kind of desaster you want to be able to recover from, you'll learn if you really need it or not.

HTH
Holger Received on Tue Jun 14 2005 - 17:46:14 CDT