Re: Oracle Grid

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:37:56 GMT

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:51:26 -0700, Mark B. Townsend interested us by writing:

> It doesn't. The Oracle Grid is clustered, low cost, hardware and storage
> components being intelligently shared to execute one or more workloads,
> with higher availability ( and other measure of QoS). RAC is used to
> cluster the database machines together, ASM is used to help manage the
> shared storage, Application Server can farm out the application logic
> which is integrated via BPEL and other cool App Server wonderfulness,
> and Grid Control provides a management stack that can provision each
> layer horizontally, but also measure and manage service levels for
> specific workloads up and down the stack.

Mark, please check my paraphrase:

RAC is the database portion of 'grid'. And Oracle Grid is the set of RAC plus all it's counterpart 'active' cluster technologies at the disk, OS and App Server levels. (As compared to simple failover clusterware.)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com