Re: QUESTION: Basic stuff about RMAN 9i

From: DW <dwhittier_at_shaw.ca>
Date: 14 Jun 2005 13:30:09 -0700

Okay, here is an example of my confusion.

FWIW, I am running 9.2.0.4.

I've reviewed what I did, and suspect that what may have caused the problem was my connect string for RMAN; the error that was generated was from the catalog database. What I find most odd is that I was able to do a 'SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE' from within RMAN without incident; but after restarting, a subsequent SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE resulted in an error.

This is an extract of the Oracle online docs:

Backing Up in NOARCHIVELOG Mode: Example This script puts the database into the correct mode for a consistent, whole database backup and then backs up the database. Note that the script performs a shutdown, startup, shutdown, and then startup again before creating multiple copies of the backup:

# Shut down the database cleanly using immediate priority. This type of
shutdown lets
# current calls to the database complete, but prevents further logons
or calls.
# If the database is not up now, you will get a message saying so but
RMAN will not
# treat this situation as an error.

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
# Start up the database in case it crashed or was not shut down cleanly
before
# starting this script. This will perform a crash recovery if it is
needed. Oracle
# uses the default init.ora file. Alternatively, use this form: STARTUP
FORCE DBA
# pfile=filename. Use the DBA option because you are going to shut down
again right
# away and do not want to let users in during the short interval. Use
the FORCE
# option because it cannot hurt and might help in certain situations.
STARTUP FORCE DBA;
SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
# The database is cleanly closed and is now ready for a consistent
backup. RMAN requires
# that the database be started and mounted to perform a backup.
STARTUP MOUNT;
# this example uses automatic channels to make the backup
BACKUP COPIES 2 INCREMENTAL LEVEL 0 FILESPERSET 5 DATABASE;
# Now that the backup is complete, open the database.
ALTER DATABASE OPEN;

And here is my session log:

> rman TARGET / CATALOG rman/rman_at_CTDW

Recovery Manager: Release 9.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production

Copyright (c) 1995, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

connected to target database: CTDW (DBID=1184923285) connected to recovery catalog database

RMAN> shutdown immediate;

database closed
database dismounted
Oracle instance shut down

RMAN> startup force dba;

Oracle instance started
database mounted
database opened

Total System Global Area 404029384 bytes

Fixed Size                      741320 bytes
Variable Size                134217728 bytes
Database Buffers             268435456 bytes
Redo Buffers                    634880 bytes

RMAN> shutdown immediate;

RMAN-03002: failure of shutdown command at 06/14/2005 13:15:32 RMAN-06004: ORACLE error from recovery catalog database: ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE

I also did the same steps without the 'force dba' as part of the startup - same results. Received on Tue Jun 14 2005 - 15:30:09 CDT