Re: QUESTION: Basic stuff about RMAN 9i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:57:25 +0200

On 14 Jun 2005 12:02:07 -0700, "DW" <dwhittier_at_shaw.ca> wrote:

>I am a little confused. Again, I intend to keep digging, but am not
>encouraged by this initial confusion and apparent contradiction of what
>I see versus the Oracle online docs.
>
>Can someone assist me in clarifying these points?

I don't think so, as you don't present any exact evidence with respect to your assertions, and we weren't looking over your shoulder, when you performed the actual deed of making a backup. Your first assertion (a level 1 backup simply boils down to a full backup) is simply not true, or your application has replaced the complete content of the database and/or changed every block in it. That is quite possible, given the messes that currently run against Oracle, but there is nothing in your post to support that observation. An incremental backup makes a backup of *changed* blocks. Unchanged blocks are not being backupped. Consequently the size of a saveset must be smaller, and the backup must be faster. Which is actually true.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA