Re: Oracle Grid

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:20:00 -0700

Mark A wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>

>>GRID and RAC are two totally different things with little or no
>>relationship to each other.
>>
>>One can have GRID without RAC
>>RAC without GRID
>>Or both GRID and RAC
>>
>>RAC relates to the clustering of servers such that a single database
>>connects to multiple instances. GRID has to do with repurposing and
>>instrumentation of Oracle instances and servers.
>>
>>That Oracle has once again botched communicating this to its customers
>>is no surprise. They have been doing this for more than a year. But I
>>am glad that the concept of advertising has finally dawned upon them.
>>
>>I would suggest that you visit http://otn.oracle.com and find the white
>>papers on these two different yet compatible technologies.
>>
>>HTH
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>

> So if one wants the highest level of continuous availability for OLTP (no
> parallel queries), what is the best solution (RAC or GRID) and the pros and
> cons of each.

AGAIN! The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. GRID will do nothing to get you high availability. It has nothing to do with HA.

> It seems to me that RAC has been marketed as the best continuous > availability solution on Oracle.

Marketed ... that word again. Blech!

RAC is one part of an HA strategy. It addresses one, and only one, aspect of the technology stack. To have true HA you also need DataGuard and other Oracle technologies as well as some as mundane as duplicate network paths, duplicate air conditioning, and duplicate backup diesel generators.

> Regarding past statements about GRID (I read the old threads), I got the > impression this a new and/or improved version of GRID.

GRID has no past ... just a future.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org