Re: in PL/SQL : String replace on some condiations - i hate IF ELSE

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 14 Jun 2005 02:10:27 -0700

baka wrote:

> -Required simple and efficient solution
> I want to replace part of the string on some conditions.

Is this a comlete string evaluation, or dealing with token replacement in a string? The pseudo code you posted points to the former... If that is the case, I would not even bother doing it in PL/SQL. I would use SQL, a lookup table (containing the matching string and replacement string), and a join.

If this is token replacement, I would also first consider using SQL - with a LIKE condition as oppose to a normal join.

The reason why I want to try SQL first is that it simply deals a lot better with data volumes than PL/SQL. It performs much faster, scales vastly better, than doing similar in PL/SQL.

--
Billy